The North Coastal Consortium for Special Education (NCCSE) is a Special Education Local Planning Area (SELPA) that is composed of 14 school districts in North San Diego County.
Each SELPA must have an Administrative Unit which is the legal entity that receives funds and is responsible for seeing that every eligible child receives appropriate services. The Administrative Unit for the North Coastal Consortium for Special Education is the San Diego County Office of Education.
For more information on the other SELPAs in San Diego County visit the San Diego County Office of Education website.
According to the Local Plan, NCCSE's governance structure includes:
- A Board of Trustees comprised of one School Board Member from each member district
- A Board of Governors comprised of the Superintendents from each member district
- A Community Advisory Committee comprised of parents, educators and community members involved in special education
As a Special Education Local Planning Area (SELPA) in California, NCCSE’s responsibilities include:
- Coordinating Special Education Programs and student placement
- Monitoring compliance with State and Federal Mandates
- Developing Policy and Procedure
- Fostering an active Community Advisory Committee (CAC) to include parents of students with disabilities and representatives for other local agencies, such as Regional Center, in NCCSE’s planning and programs
The North Coastal Consortium for Special Education (NCCSE) is a dynamic, regional, collaborative special education local planning area whose purpose is to support local school districts as they provide for the needs of special education students.
NCCSE provides and supports districts with:
- Staff Development activities and parent education
- Program Specialist services
- Help when responding to needs of parents and special education students
- Unification of common needs
- Helping to identify unique needs within local school districts
- Legal and technical assistance
- Awareness and dissemination of current best practices
- Creating forums for problem solving
- All people have the right to learn, grow, and change.
- All people have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Integrity and honesty are fundamental to the quality of life.
- Children are our future.
- Each of us can make a positive difference.
- Parent, guardian, and care-giver involvement is a valuable asset.
- The value of every individual.
- The power of collaboration.